[Yum] Is there a howto, on how to install a system fresh with yum?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Klingaman, Aaron L wrote:

> Probably what I'm trying to do ... bring a system up from nothing
> primarily using yum.
>
> As I've just tested today, yum can install the base group from
> comps.xml, once you have your system up to the point it can actually run
> it. (which means installing a bunch of rpms before you call yum). Thats
> the hardpart - bootstrapping rpm and yum from scratch.

Why not do it the other way around -- just bootstrap the base group (or
if you have plenty of time to kill, the base group with things
selectively omitted until it starts breaking all the time but with
modern bandwidth and disk, why bother) and then switch over to yum?
That was/is how I planned to do it.  I noted that Seth even put yum in
the base group here, which makes it pretty easy to do it.

Then one can just take a nice long list of rpm's and feed them into a
loop of yums, so to speak.  It's pretty much identical to kickstart BUT
it can be restarted and a kickstart or regular install cannot.  Which is
silly/stupid, as plenty of state information is available and more could
trivially be added, but I'm not Red Hat and don't have time to mess with
adding state to ks.  With base+yum and a list of rpm's followed by a
post, you don't have to.

   rgb