[Yum] Re: yum mirroring

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:20:53AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > I do have one last suggestion, though.  rsync documents that the -vvv,
> > -vvvv and higher options are only "useful for debugging rsync".  That is
> > usually a diplomatic way of saying that they will flood you with detail
>
> Okay, output from -vvv for my RH62 updates can be browsed at
>
> http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/thu2.txt
>
> -vvvv produced 17 megs of info, so it's only available on request :)

It looks like the non-up-to-date files do not have the same checksums.

This leads to all sorts of interesting speculations, but it also points
to all sorts of useful flags to use for testing.  Read man rsync, but
hop from each occurrence of the word "checksum" to the next.  You can
learn a lot about how rsync determines file identity (on the basis of a
mix of timestamp and checksum, apparently) and at least try some various
alternative sets of flags designed to force or prevent the use of
checksums or control just how they work.

I'd also recommend doing the rsync for a much smaller subset of the
files than the whole thing, or even several disjoint subsets, so that
you don't have to wait a full day for the next round of results.

Offhand it looks like the problem is likely associated with the
incorrect (non) usage of the -t flag, OR as I've repeatedly pointed out,
perhaps they are doing something odd on the server side that is causing
a time/size or checksum test to fail.  Perhaps they have disabled
checksums in some way because it is expensive in server CPU and they
appear to be very load sensitive.  Perhaps they have precalculated them
somehow but have failed to update them on part of the 6.2 tree.  I don't
know and don't know how to find out other than asking the server humans
for help.

Note that there IS an option that will almost certainly "work" to
surpress this unwanted file transfer.  The --size-only flag tells rsync
to ignore checksums and use only the size of the file to decide whether
or not to transfer.  Given that the file size is NOT changing, I don't
see how this could fail to prevent transfers.

Speaking of which, is ANYBODY still maintaining 6.2?  I think not.  I
think you are perfectly safe freezing the entire distribution and just
running from your internal image, unless you have some evidence that
somebody is still actually rebuilding and updating 6.2 RPMs and dropping
them onto the repository you're using.  I don't think that somebody
includes Red Hat or the kernel people -- they typically keep a release
up only through one major number update or at most two.  When was the
last time a file in the repository really changed? --size-only might
reduce the noise and let you find out.

Obviously you know that unless your organization relies on a binary that
cannot be rebuilt and only runs on 6.2 libraries or has some very old
machines that one cannot reasonably upgrade to run a more recent
version, everything else in 6.2 is a potential security problem, a
performance problem, cheats yourself and users out of the latest
advances in the entire software collection, and more.  RH is up to 9,
right, so it seems way past time to abandon 6.  9 is stable and feature
rich.

  rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx