[Yum] Re: yum mirroring

Thank you Robert for replying,

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 13:54, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> I'm clueless, but here are some debugging questions in case you
> haven't
> already looked or tried them.

I will now start debugging as suggested.

> Is there anything odd about the stat data of these files?  Do the

I do not see anything odd. The timestamps seem to be preserved right in
the i385 directory. All files have the permissions/ownerships as
follows:

-rw-rw-r--    1 ayo      ayo

> (as far as you can tell) and are they the same before and after?  What
> happens if you e.g.
>
>  mv i386/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm /tmp
>
> (wait overnight for the cron script to run)
>
>  ls -al i386/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
> /tmp/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm$
>  diff i386/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
> /tmp/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm

I have now moved the file and will wait until tomorrow to see what
happens. I added the -c to my transfer arguments as you suggested.

Here's the results:

[root@cuba os]# ls -la /tmp/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
-rw-rw-r--    1 ayo      ayo        851914 Jun 23  2001
/tmp/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
[root@cuba os]# ls -la i386/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
[root@cuba os]# diff /tmp/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
i386/XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-29.i386.rpm
[root@cuba os]#

So, no differences at the files at all. But one strange thing happened:
Before (on Friday) this change --stats produced info saying that
number of RH62 updates transferred was 106. On saturday the number
was 1 and the following does 0. But still the file listing shows
packages not being uptodate and still --stats is saying that over 400
RH72 and RH73 updates are being transferred. But can it be really true,
as the cron job takes only 7 minutes to execute? And the connection is
only 1M SDSL.

I'm really confused! I've gathered the rsync outputs to my homepage:

http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/fri.txt
http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/sat.txt
http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/sun.txt
http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/mon.txt

Should using the -c switch show something new in my rsync output? I did
not see any.

> This too can be tested, both by the ritual above and by simply
> skipping
> the nightly cron altogether and running the update by hand the next
> day.
> If the hypothesis is approximately correct, the FIRST time you run the
> update script after their nightly cron you'll get an unnecessary
> update,
> If the hypothesis is approximately correct, the FIRST time you run the
> update script after their nightly cron you'll get an unnecessary
> update, but of course the second and so forth you won't.

I have now (on Monday) moved the mirroring script away from
/etc/cron.daily and will run the script tomorrow by hand and see if
anything changes.

I also mv'ed XFree86-twm-4.1.0-49.i386.rpm from the RH72 updates dir
to see if it produced same kind of new strange behaviour as happened
with RH62 rsyncing.

(Wednesday) The results are: Running the cron job by hand next day
produces the same kind of behaviour as by cron normally does -- Packages
end up being marked not uptodate. You can see the output or rsync at

http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/wed.txt

And now the RH62 updates are being transferred again!

> The last suggestion is to try playing with the su - ayo part of your
> script.  Either let the nightly cron run as root (including the rsync)
> or set up a cron for the user ayo to run the mirror.  The reason I
> suggest this is that you're defining a bunch of variables in the
> update script and then su'ing to a new login environment where those
> variables
> may not be inherited.  Also, if I'm not mistaken the su -c line is a
> bit ambiguous -- shouldn't the "'s around SRPMS be escaped, as they
> are
> inside the "" pair for the -c line?  You might check to be sure this
> string is expanding the way you think it is.

You are propably correct about the SRPMS thing. But all this oddity
was going on before I started excluding dirs in my rsync command.

I will now make a personal cronjob for user ayo to do the mirroring.

Here are the results for that expirement:

http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/sat2.txt
http://www.iki.fi/peter.peltonen/linux/sun2.txt

I really don't get this behaviour. There must be a logical explanation
for all this, but what could it be?

Regards,
--
Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen@xxxxxx>