[Yum] complete install of system using yum?

Eric V. Smith wrote:

>I think I'll go with a solution like Aaron's, where each host grabs its
>config files from a central server, which generates the config files as
>needed.

That's what LCFG does (http://www.lcfg.org) - you define a profile per node:

#include <site_specific.h> /* things like domain names, network details
etc */

boot.services   httpd postfix
httpd.port   80
portfix.smarthost mail.mydomain.com
... etc.

.. then the central server compiles these values (lists are also
allowed) into an XML version. A notification is sent to the client which
then picks up the new profile and rewrites the new config file on the
fly - optionally restarting the service too. The config fire re-writing
is based on a template engine so that centrally you dont' care about
config file formats.

We're got this tied into our install system so that we can even do
things like:

fstab.partitions hda1 hda2
fstab.partitions_hda1 100M
fstab.partitions_hda2 30G

and things like:

profile.packages @workstation.rpms @teaching_labs.rpms

.. you shove in a CD or PXE boot an the machine comes up with all the
packages you want and fully configured (including NFS, LDAP, Kerberos etc.)

Any changes to the profile database are picked up by the server and
notifications sent out automatically.

Adding an rpm to all the machines would be as simple as adding it to the
file workstations.rpms - removing it just means deleting it.

It's quite handy as a systems developer to be able to rpm -Uvh/-e and
mangle stuff in /etc all day on my workstation testing things and know
that the next morning (optionally) that my machine and all it's config
will have been reverted to the baseline config.

Carwyn