[Yum] Installing/keeping a specific RPM

Jack Neely wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I know this has been touched on and rubbed up and down some but I can't
>figure out for the life of me what decided or if this was just full of
>crack.  Specifically, I'm looking at the option of being able to keep
>and make the kernel and openafs package be a certain version.  If your
>machine gets installed and has a kernel/openafs packages that are to
>high, you install the lower packages.  If its time for an upgrade you
>don't upgrade past the specific version.  (The latter handled by
>pkgpolicy).
>
>Is this functionaluty a part of the declairitive package stuff that has
>been discussed before?

It's not in yum and there's no add on to do it yet. Ideally it need to
have hooks at a low enough level to be able to use the rpmlib
transactionset in such a way that new packages are added within the same
transaction as stuff you don't want is removed.

I think requirements set for a pinning type system should include:

- Be able to hold a given package at a specified version.
- Be able to let any packages not held continue being upgraded as normal.
- Be able to downgrade a package to the specified held version.
- Allow upgrades up to and including the specified hold version.

A related subject is having the ability to control what packages a
machine should have, for which you need to be able to:

- Add packages that are not present in some list/rpmgroup you store
somewhere in whatever configuration management system you use.
- Remove packages that are not in the list/rpmgroup of packages that are
supposed to be on the machine.

Not sure how autodependencies should be dealt with. It you say you want
package A which them pulls in B automatically (you don't specify it's
required) then if you then remove A you probably want to remove B too.

This ties into the verification idea too - you probably want to do more
than validate the installed rpms - you want to validate that the right
rpms are installed.

Being able to list exaclty which rpms/rpmgroups should be on a machine
or a specific group of machines also lets you do things like keep track
of per machine licensed software (e.g. we have vmware licenses for 150
machines).

Carwyn