[Yum] Re: new daily - 20030810

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 09:13:47AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > - What is this "0:" prepended to the package names? Apparently the ones I
> > upgraded don't have epoch set, so that's not it, unless yum now explicitly
> > shows how things are treated... but having it before the version would make
> > more sense, no?
>
> it's the epoch. remember null=0. It's on the front of the name b/c
> that's where I've always seen it written - mostly b/c you can parse it
> from right to left that way more easily.

I haven't seen it in front of names, only in front of versions. Why
don't you simply use the notation of the header files (name-epoch-andsoon)?

> I think I'll remove it from the display if it is 0. It'll be a
> prettier output for the user.

It's becoming rather difficult to cope with epochs. OTOH they are
skipped by usual rpm -qi, OTOH they have become even more crucial with
the lack of promotion. So the user gets an error message about
mismatched epochs and has to dig into rpm man pages to even find out
the epochs of the packages involved :(
For a developer it is sad that requirements _have_ to contain
epochs. That way portability is blown to pieces :(
</off topic rant>

I'd go for always displaying the beast, if not for other reasons, then
for pedagogical.

Praying for an epoch free rpm 6.0 ...
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx