[Yum] Enhancing the potential of yum to support commercial enterprise...

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Lars Damerow wrote:

> >From seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:33:59AM -0400:

> > >  4. sigh.
> >
> > Keep in mind - juggling dependencies for a single system and single
> > database is hard enough. Doing it for 2 gets dramatically harder and
> > relocatable binaries are difficult to make on their best day.
> >
> > -sv
>
> I can vouch for Seth on this one. We tried a scheme with multiple RPM databases
> as well, and it got out of hand almost immediately, forcing us to redesign.
> Relocation is also next to impossible; it works for so few types of packages
> that I'm surprised that it was included in RPM at all. Any package that
> contains a shared library is really hard to be relocatable and still play nice
> with the rest of the system.

Yeah, but remember the proposed application space -- ONLY for packages
that installed "data" or "noarch" things with no intrinsic architecture
dependence.  So shared libraries and "relocatability" in the sense that
relative or absolute paths are preserved is mostly irrelevant.  Not
trying to build binary thingies that will install in /usr, /usr/local,
/usr/share, /opt, or $HOME equally with rpm --relocate /usr=/opt, which
I have no doubt is very difficult indeed.

Think slackware packages -- glorified tarballs with an internal
installation script would be adequate.  However, slackware packages
aren't terribly satisfactory because of their relatively weak versioning
and obsoleting and dependencies.  It would indeed be lovely to require
jpilot and/or pilot-xfer for a package installing pilot db's and
software.  It would be nice to require xmms or some other ogg player as
a dependency of an ogg-based music package.  Or think e-books, with an
associated e-book reader (or one of several, all open source).  Or drug
databases.  There are all sorts of markets for packaged DATA, but most
of it doesn't need to be and in fact shouldn't be installed as root.

At the moment linux seems to lack an idiot-proof (simple) mechanism for
versioned, dependencied, checksummed distribution of pure (possibly
volatile) data to users.  rpm's have the intrinsic features but rpm
itself does not.  yum (even from the command line) is simple enough to
qualify as an idiot proof and automagical front end for rpm, and if/when
a nice GUI wrapper is written for yum (perhaps capable even of fronting
a user's cron, at least wrt scheduling yum updates) then yum+rpm+web
could become the net's next killer app, at least for people buying data.

  rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx