[Yum] Enhancing the potential of yum to support commercial enterprise...

>From seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:33:59AM -0400:
> On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 20:28, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > On 7 Aug 2003, seth vidal wrote:
> > >
> > > 1. --relocate is broken.
> > > 2. most pkgs will break for it even if they were built right
> > > 3. this is crackrock.
> >
> >  4. sigh.
>
> Keep in mind - juggling dependencies for a single system and single
> database is hard enough. Doing it for 2 gets dramatically harder and
> relocatable binaries are difficult to make on their best day.
>
> -sv

I can vouch for Seth on this one. We tried a scheme with multiple RPM databases
as well, and it got out of hand almost immediately, forcing us to redesign.
Relocation is also next to impossible; it works for so few types of packages
that I'm surprised that it was included in RPM at all. Any package that
contains a shared library is really hard to be relocatable and still play nice
with the rest of the system.

cheers,
lars

lars damerow