[Yum] A little more on enterprise strength yum.

A few messages ago I was on about declarative package listsings vs
defining procedures:

declarative:

foo-1.2.3-1
bar-1.2.3-1

procedural:

install foo-1.2.3-1
install bar-1.2.3-1

.. where in one you just say what you want a machine to look like, in
the other you say how you want to change a machine.

Having spoken to people who could remember why this was important I've
got an example:

LAPTOPS!

Say on day 1 you deploy an update to all the machines in your enterprise
"install foo-1.2.3-2"

.. then on day 2 you ship "install newthing-1.2.3-2" (never been on the
machines before).

.. and on day 3 you ship "install foo-1.2.3-4".

.. but on day 2, 5 laptops where away in a conference with no
connectivity to get your updates. When the laptops come back they get
your new "install foo-1.2.3-4" command, but when do they get newthing?

With a procedural (action based) approach it's really ugly to make sure
every machine gets all the updates. It gets worse if you have a series
of install, uninstall, install actions that a machine missed while it
was disconnected.

With a declarative system the laptops would just notice that they didn't
have a package that they were supposed to have and install it. You don't
give a damn about what happened in between.

ATM I think that a combination of rpm groups and declarative listsings
of what a machine should look like are likely to give the best usability
characteristiscs.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this? Maybe I've been brainwashed?

Carwyn