[Yum] A little more on enterprise strength yum.

> Say on day 1 you deploy an update to all the machines in your enterprise
> "install foo-1.2.3-2"
>
> .. then on day 2 you ship "install newthing-1.2.3-2" (never been on the
> machines before).
>
> .. and on day 3 you ship "install foo-1.2.3-4".
>
> .. but on day 2, 5 laptops where away in a conference with no
> connectivity to get your updates. When the laptops come back they get
> your new "install foo-1.2.3-4" command, but when do they get newthing?
>
> With a procedural (action based) approach it's really ugly to make sure
> every machine gets all the updates. It gets worse if you have a series
> of install, uninstall, install actions that a machine missed while it
> was disconnected.

This is why you don't specify the versions.

> ATM I think that a combination of rpm groups and declarative listsings
> of what a machine should look like are likely to give the best usability
> characteristiscs.
>
> Does anyone else have any opinions on this? Maybe I've been brainwashed?

Alternatively you use groupupdate and just plugin new things to a group
as 'default' or 'mandatory' then when a user can:

yum groupupdate 'carwyn group of fun'

and get all the packages you want them to have.

-sv