[Yum] Enhancing the potential of yum to support commercial enterprise...

On 8 Aug 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > > 1. --relocate is broken.
> > > 2. most pkgs will break for it even if they were built right
> > > 3. this is crackrock.
> >
> >  4. sigh.
>
> Keep in mind - juggling dependencies for a single system and single
> database is hard enough. Doing it for 2 gets dramatically harder and
> relocatable binaries are difficult to make on their best day.

I'm fairly certain that one can build an rpm that installs a tarball or
file collection into e.g. /tmp that uses a %post to do any actual
installation into a local/home directory and then cleans up.  One can
then run

  rpm -Uvh --nodeps --dbpath ~/rpm whatever.noarch.rpm

and have it do the right thing, sort of, without needing write
permissions to /var/lib/rpm.

So it probably CAN be done now, sort of, without having to mess with
relocatability directly although of course one really wants a a modified
dependency checking, just for rpm to check /var/lib/rpm for installed
dependencies (only) followed by dependency and obsoletes from e.g.
--localdbpath ~/rpm, and WRITE installation results for the package only
into --localdbpath.  Sort of the way yum now permits hierarchical
repositories, rpm needs to support hierarchical databases and a purely
userspace or local mode.

Alas, rpm appears to be well-designed for root use but fairly
unsupportive of userspace use.  I suppose yum inherits this, since one
would (at least) have to create a whole mode that invoked rpm only with
the --nodeps --dbpath option, and then of course one can't check for
e.g.  jpilot dependencies in rootspace if one wishes to install (as per
example) pilot programs and data.  With luck obsoletes would still work
though, which is one of the primary motivations.

This is really a bit of a shame, because yum is fabulous at the
versioning, retrieval and updating that running a commercial (or for
that matter free) manual/automated data distribution and update facility
for users who might not have root.  rpm's also have all the internal
components one needs to support it (which is really just an archive,
header and %post script).

Hacking this into rpm (a necessary predecessor of putting a userspace
mode into yum) probably is crackrock indeed -- it's not like rpm isn't
already fabulously complex and often broken already.  Still, the
commercial possibilities of this are very tempting indeed...

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx