[Yum] how can create repositories

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:37:43PM +0200, Farkas Levente alleged:

> seth vidal wrote:
> >>that would be a funny thing;-)
> >>may be header.info should contains full url in this case...
> >

> >what does the full url mean?
> >the baseurl could be relative - think about if someone is proxying or
> >tunnelling it. What about file:// urls.
>
> that's exactly what I'd like to see. full url is the concatenation of
> the <base> given at the command line argument (if there is no protocol
> specification then you can assume file://) plus the relative path.
> in this case you can create a repository even for a remote ftp or webserver:
> yum-arch ftp://x.y.com/a/b ~/yum-rep/
> or even
> yum-arch ftp://x.y.com/a/b /var/cache/yum/base/

You are talking about downloading all of every rpm just to store the
headers, and then download the rpms *again* when you want to download
them.

And in the case of an http source, there's no good way to get a filename
listing.

Of course, these are the technical objections to what I was suggesting
earlier: download *just* the headers out of the rpms and not require
anything server-side at all.  The 'rpm' from Mandrake seems to be able
to do this, but the Redhat one can't.