[Yum] how can create repositories

seth vidal wrote:
>>I make sense, but IMHO it a hack and not an ideal solution. especially
>>since you write this program. if some made it in this was than this can
>>be one of the good solution, but in this case ...
>

> I don't think it's a hack - I think it's a reasonable use. but that's
> just a perspective difference.
>

>>IMHO it would be good if yum can place the repository in a different
>>directory by design (since most user even you use it in this way). and
>>as I can see there is a header.info file which contains a reference to
>>the rpm files itself. so it would be a useful extension to add a new
>>optional parameter to
>>yum-arch <rpm-dir> <repository-dir>
>>in this case you can separate the to things, what's more in this case
>>you can create funny thing:-)
>

> How would that help? What if someone put a rpm-dir which is outside of
> the relative dir - then they baseurl path would need to be redefined.

that would be a funny thing;-)
may be header.info should contains full url in this case...

> Can you give me another example. I may not be understanding your
> suggestion.

so what I'd like to see:
in the mirror host:
<base>/mirror/redhat/8.0/
<base>/mirror/redhat/9/
<base>/mirror/redhat/updates/9/
<base>/mirror/redhat/updates/8.0/
<base>/mirror/freshrpms/redhat/8.0/
<base>/mirror/freshrpms/redhat/9/
<base>/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/
<base>/yum-repository/redhat/9/
<base>/yum-repository/redhat/updates/9/
<base>/yum-repository/redhat/updates/8.0/
<base>/yum-repository/freshrpms/redhat/8.0/
<base>/yum-repository/freshrpms/redhat/9/
may be just two and both contains base, updates and freshrpms too.
<base>/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/
<base>/yum-repository/redhat/9/

in the conf file:
--------------------------------
[base]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=file:///<base>/mirror/redhat/$releasever/
--------------------------------

and run
yum-arch <base>/mirror/redhat/8.0/ <base>/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/

in this case if I decided to mirror another site (eg rh contrib net
reborn) I just have to add on line to my mirror script and one line to
my yum repository generator (and I don't have to create a huge link forest).

>>another suggestion to add possibility to
>>- install scr.rpms
>

> src rpms will be need to be handled differently imo and I don't think it
> makes sense to clutter up the yum binary-handling cli with commands for
> a mechanism to install src.rpms. Additionally, src.rpm handling while on
> my todo list is not a top priority.

I don't think either that it's a top priority just a comment:-)

>>- to use a proxy
>

> it can now - read the man page for yum.

ooops sorry, but prefer config file parameter :-)
but it's realy not important:-)