[Yum] other stuff

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 17:16, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Howdy,
> While I think getting the 'groups' working is more important, I have a couple
> of idea's / suggestions .

well I did some thinking and some talking, and some more thinking and
here is all I've got. Conditional groups would be at best hard, at worst
a quagmire of crap.

I talked with someone at red hat about the comps file and about the
future of that file. It seems like he kinda hates conditional groups
too.
that being said I think I'll probably do something that allows the
following:

1. groups w/i groups
2. packages w/i groups (duh)
3. simple parsing.

> Multiple configuration files and/or the ability to give a command line
> argument telling yum where to look for it's rpm's.
> Why?

I think it would probably be best/easier to do the following: yum
--config-file="/path/to/config file"

then we don't have to have as much hatefulness in the cli parsing :)

> Have it be a little more robust server-wise.  So that if there are multiple
> servers, and one of them doesn't happen to be available, it just ignores that
> server and uses the other in the list.
> Why?
> Because it would be nice to have mirrored servers, and have them both in the
> config file.  If one of the servers goes down, then the other one just get's
> all of the traffic.

I thought maybe something like this:

[serverid]
name=my cool server
baseurl=url://mydefault/path/url
gpgcheck=0
mirror1=url://mirror1/path/url
mirror2=url://mirror2/path/url

etc etc - up to lets say 10 mirrors I'd guess  - to be reasonable.

problems with this:

how do we tell if a url is really down?
I know how to tell if its bad, but down?
we need to keep from having it hang when figuring out what url to use.

any ideas on that?

-sv