[Yum] yum.conf

--=-svmfJlVOZ4av11MXbA5z

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 17:29, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2002, seth vidal wrote:
>=20
> > > seems to work locally.  I'm trying a running update from 7.2 -> 7.3 a=
s I
> > > write this and it is telling me that it is getting a very long list o=
> > > .hdr files, so I presume that it is working.  It'll take a while to k=
now
> > > for sure over a DSL line...;-)
> >=20
> >=20
> > the stock distributed yum doesn't need a duke-specific conf file. The
> > one in the dulug distro has a duke-specific conf file, though.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Icon did a 7.1 -> 7.3 upgrade this weekend, and excluding a few hiccups
> > had few problems.
>=20
> Ah.  I'm getting hiccups myself.  They are primarily errors of the form:
>=20
> Errors installing:
> ('file /usr/sbin/smrsh from install of sendmail-8.11.6-15 conflicts with
> file from package sendmail-smrsh-8.11.6-3_dulug1', (7,
> '/usr/sbin/smrsh', 0))
> ('file /usr/share/man/man8/smrsh.8.gz from install of sendmail-8.11.6-15
> conflicts with file from package sendmail-smrsh-8.11.6-3_dulug1', (7,
> '/usr/share/man/man8/smrsh.8.gz', 0))
> ('file /usr/include/kde/kbabel/catalog.h from install of
> kdesdk-kbabel-3.0.0-5 conflicts with file from package
> kdesdk-devel-2.2.2-1', (7, '/usr/include/kde/kbabel/catalog.h', 0))
>=20
> Now, in just about all of these the error likely results from a
> reorganization of packages installed under 7.2 -- smrsh is in sendmail
> in one case, in a separate package in another.  kbabel/catalog.h is in
> kbabel in one case, devel in the other.

kdesdk is one I can't fix easily. Red Hat's kde maintainer failed to
obsoleted kdesdk-devel when he split the package into 40 different
subpackages.

the sendmail-smrsh I understand, sorta, we split the sendmail-smrsh
package off from the main sendmail and the main sendmail knows nothing
about it. Since in the dulug distro we don't officially support in-place
upgrades b/t versions I'm not going to fix this.=20

This is the situation in yum/yup/apt/anything breaks down. If the
packages explicitly conflict and one is not obviously newer than the
other then you're screwed.

We never noticed that in the tests I did b/c they were all machines
running postfix. Stop using sendmail :)

=20
> Are cases like these automatable?  In just about every case, "doing the
> right thing" is going to be --erasing the old packages until yum is
> happy installing the new packages.  The way things look now, I'll have
> to do this by hand, a package at a time (which makes me nervous --
> erasing packages before I know that yum is going to eventually get
> through the update:-).

its just the ones that are KNOWN conflicts. Icon and I have encountered
most, if not all, of them.

kdesdk-devel is one of those.

again its not a situation we can deal with. Its an explicit conflict
caused by sloppy packaging.

so far the ones I've encountered include:
kdesdk-devel
sendmail-smrsh
kernel < 2.4.7 conflicting with mkinitrd.

-sv

--=-svmfJlVOZ4av11MXbA5z

--=-svmfJlVOZ4av11MXbA5z--