[Yum] yum.conf

On 17 Jun 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> kdesdk is one I can't fix easily. Red Hat's kde maintainer failed to
> obsoleted kdesdk-devel when he split the package into 40 different
> subpackages.
>
> the sendmail-smrsh I understand, sorta, we split the sendmail-smrsh
> package off from the main sendmail and the main sendmail knows nothing
> about it. Since in the dulug distro we don't officially support in-place
> upgrades b/t versions I'm not going to fix this.
>
> This is the situation in yum/yup/apt/anything breaks down. If the
> packages explicitly conflict and one is not obviously newer than the
> other then you're screwed.
>
> We never noticed that in the tests I did b/c they were all machines
> running postfix. Stop using sendmail :)

I have, actually.  I just haven't EVERYWHERE yet, and the machine in
question isn't an active mailhost.  sendmail is a tolerable MTA.

I'll start converting my home clients to postfix.  My home
server/gateway too, but it needs a massive update anyway -- it is
probably a couple of revisions behind.  With yum I'm hoping to be able
to keep my servers a bit more current, since rebuilding them after a
major upgrade is a real PITA.

> > Are cases like these automatable?  In just about every case, "doing the
> > right thing" is going to be --erasing the old packages until yum is
> > happy installing the new packages.  The way things look now, I'll have
> > to do this by hand, a package at a time (which makes me nervous --
> > erasing packages before I know that yum is going to eventually get
> > through the update:-).
>

> its just the ones that are KNOWN conflicts. Icon and I have encountered
> most, if not all, of them.
>
> kdesdk-devel is one of those.
>
> again its not a situation we can deal with. Its an explicit conflict
> caused by sloppy packaging.
>
> so far the ones I've encountered include:
> kdesdk-devel
> sendmail-smrsh
> kernel < 2.4.7 conflicting with mkinitrd.

There is one concept of "newness" that one can use to fuel the
decision(s).  In a whole lot of cases, the packages coming from the
named target/server directory will be presumed to supercede anything on
the system.  In fact, I'd argue that this is what you'd LIKE to at least
be ABLE to make the default behavior.  If I were doing a full reinstall
to upgrade, that is what would happen, for example, so it would be just
groovy to be able to force it to happen with a specific command line
option.

Something like

  yum upgrade

instead of

  yum update

and then just have it internally "obsolete" any already installed,
conflicted packages (whatever the source) in favor of the ones in the
upgrade server/path.

That way yum could actually repair minor damage and stupidity on the
part of the packagers by doing pretty much what you'd expect to have
happen on a full reinstall upgrade, but without trashing all those
lovely configuration files or rebuilding your filesystem.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx