[Yum] yum.conf

On 17 Jun 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> > seems to work locally.  I'm trying a running update from 7.2 -> 7.3 as I
> > write this and it is telling me that it is getting a very long list of
> > .hdr files, so I presume that it is working.  It'll take a while to know
> > for sure over a DSL line...;-)
>

> the stock distributed yum doesn't need a duke-specific conf file. The
> one in the dulug distro has a duke-specific conf file, though.
>

> Icon did a 7.1 -> 7.3 upgrade this weekend, and excluding a few hiccups
> had few problems.

Ah.  I'm getting hiccups myself.  They are primarily errors of the form:

Errors installing:
('file /usr/sbin/smrsh from install of sendmail-8.11.6-15 conflicts with
file from package sendmail-smrsh-8.11.6-3_dulug1', (7,
'/usr/sbin/smrsh', 0))
('file /usr/share/man/man8/smrsh.8.gz from install of sendmail-8.11.6-15
conflicts with file from package sendmail-smrsh-8.11.6-3_dulug1', (7,
'/usr/share/man/man8/smrsh.8.gz', 0))
('file /usr/include/kde/kbabel/catalog.h from install of
kdesdk-kbabel-3.0.0-5 conflicts with file from package
kdesdk-devel-2.2.2-1', (7, '/usr/include/kde/kbabel/catalog.h', 0))

Now, in just about all of these the error likely results from a
reorganization of packages installed under 7.2 -- smrsh is in sendmail
in one case, in a separate package in another.  kbabel/catalog.h is in
kbabel in one case, devel in the other.

Are cases like these automatable?  In just about every case, "doing the
right thing" is going to be --erasing the old packages until yum is
happy installing the new packages.  The way things look now, I'll have
to do this by hand, a package at a time (which makes me nervous --
erasing packages before I know that yum is going to eventually get
through the update:-).

Are there any points further on that yum could barf if I go ahead and
erase the conflicting packages?

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx