[Yum] Re: yum clean

--=-8ertijgiZZwcpIErkjJb

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 15:59, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Howdy,
> Don't you just love it now that we are doing more testing :)
>=20
> Another comment/request dealing with yum clean.
>=20
> Why does yum clean need to go to the server to get the latest header info=
?  We=20
> had some discussion here, trying to think of a reason, but couldn't.
>=20
> The basic idea is that you run 'yum clean' to clean up stuff that is on y=
our=20
> local disk, and you don't really care what is on the server.  Even if you=
=20
> haven't ran any yum command for a month, and the server header has comple=
tely=20
> changed, if I run 'yum clean', I just want it to clean up what I have loc=
ally.=20
>   If I had wanted the latest stuff, I would have ran one of the other yum=
=20
> commands, like list, or upgrade, or something, but with yum clean, I don'=
t=20
> care what is on the server.
>=20
> I realize that we can use the -C option, and we will for now, but even so=
,=20
> unless there is some basic reason, we would like it so that 'yum clean' o=
nly=20
> uses the local cache.  This will not only save on user time, but the load=
 on=20
> the server as well.
>=20

yah I had noticed that too. and even had put it in a private todo list
as a "this needs to be fixed b/c it's silly"

I think this will be easier b/c I've made the new default - if yum is
run as not-root then go into cache-only mode - so, that means I can just
check the function be called and set the cache mode to ignore it - but
more importantly a yum clean call should just skip all the
server-checking crap.

hmm.

I'll look at it again shortly.

-sv