vepa-mode directly attached interface

Hi all,
I just realized that libvirt default for directly attached interface is vepa mode.

I discovered it now because virt-manager automatically enables bridge mode, while cockpit-machines get the default vepa mode. This is unfortunate because, being vepa switches very rare, it means that using cockpit to configure directly attached interfaces causes guests to not talk each other.

I have some questions:

- can libvirt default be changed/configured somehow (ie: to automatically create bridge-mode directly attached interface when no mode is specified)?

- how can I use virsh to discover machines with vepa-mode interfaces (virsh domiflist <domain> does not return the interface mode)?

- can I change the interface type at runtime (virt-xml <domain> --edit --network type=direct,source.mode=bridge works for inactive domains only)?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico