Domain XML of a restored VM

Hi,

I am looking for clarification on what exactly is happening to the
domain XML when resuming a suspended VM. We would like to make sure we
don't lose any configuration and we also see some unexpected behavior.

The VM with the name/UUID same as resumed VM may or may not already
exist. If it does, what role does the original domain XML of a VM play
when resuming? Is there any merging taking place between the existing
domain XML and the domain XML stored in save image? Is the original XML
simply thrown away and replaced?

Is there any difference how the stored XML is treated compared to the
XML passed in `virDomainRestoreFlags()`? I see some unexpected changes
here. When I use `virDomainSaveImageGetXMLDesc()` to retrieve the stored
XML and pass it unchanged to the `virDomainRestoreFlags()` the final
domain XML is different then when `virDomainRestore()` is used or when
`virDomainRestoreFlags()` with no `dxml` argument is used. We have:

   <graphics ... passwdValidTo='1970-01-01T00:00:01'>

in the domain XML and the `passwdValidTo` argument disappears when
domain XML is passed in `dxml` argument but it is preserved in other
cases. Is this behavior expected? If yes, can we do anything to preserve
the configuration? What other changes in domain XML can be expected?

Thanks,

    Tomas

--
Tomáš Golembiovský <tgolembi@xxxxxxxxxx>