live migration via unix socket

Hey,

Over in KubeVirt we're investigating a use case where we'd like to perform a live migration within a network namespace that does not provide libvirtd with network access. In this scenario we would like to perform a live migration by proxying the migration through a unix socket to a process in another network namespace that does have network access.  That external process would live on every node in the cluster and know how to correctly route connections between libvirtds.

virsh example of an attempted migration via unix socket.

virsh migrate --copy-storage-all --p2p --live --xml domain.xml my-vm qemu+unix:///system?socket=destination-host-proxy-sock

In this example, the src libvirtd is able to establish a connection to the destination libvirtd via the unix socket proxy. However, the migration-uri appears to require either tcp or rdma network connection.  If I force the migration-uri to be a unix socket, I receive an error [1] indicating that qemu+unix is not a valid transport.

Technically with qemu+kvm I believe what we're attempting should be possible (even though it is inefficient). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a way to achieve this migration via unix socket functionality this using Libvirt? Also, is there a reason why the migration uri is limited to tcp/rdma

Thanks!
- David

[1] https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt/blob/master/src/qemu/qemu_migration.c#L2798