Re: Some missunderstanding in the wiki page

On 01/07/10 09:11, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
A Dimecres 30 Juny 2010, Tom Hughes va escriure:

The common configuration that the wiki is documenting is presumably the
case where the host has a single ethernet interface that is shared by
the host and the guests. In that configuration the bridge does have an
address, which is the address of the host machine.

and then you can assign _another_ IP to the guest or must assign the same?

A different IP or the two will fight during ARP resolution with both the host and the guest trying to claim the IP address.

Basically a bridge is like a virtual ethernet switch inside your
machine, where one port is connected to each device that is enslaved to
it and another port is connected to the kernel's IP stack - that port
appears as the brN interface and can have an IP address (for the host)
assigned to it.

but, my main doubts is about to have a sever with several nics and several
guest. I think that a good approach (if it's possbile) is to have a an
specific nic for each guest. No?

Sure if you've got spare nic's in the host or you need maximum performance then that may well be a good idea.

The single nic case that I described is more for the average person running a few vms on their workstation.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/