Re: Some missunderstanding in the wiki page

On 30/06/10 10:35, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:

The configuration (I have follow only the debian/ubuntu steps) shows that br0
has assigned an IP. I did the mistake to try to assign the same IP in the
guest network configuration, I understand that, and obviously it doesn't work
(duplicate IPs). So, to me, it would me more clear if the br0 interface has
no IP. In my case, I have two nics: eth0 the interface for the host and eth1
for the guest. The eth1 part in my network/interfaces is:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet manual
         bridge_ports  eth1
         bridge_stp    on
         bridge_maxwait  0
         bridge_fd       0

and then in the guest you configure the IP as you want. In the host, eth1 (or
whatever interface you bridge) has no IP, so it's not used, and the guest
uses completely.

The common configuration that the wiki is documenting is presumably the case where the host has a single ethernet interface that is shared by the host and the guests. In that configuration the bridge does have an address, which is the address of the host machine.

Basically a bridge is like a virtual ethernet switch inside your machine, where one port is connected to each device that is enslaved to it and another port is connected to the kernel's IP stack - that port appears as the brN interface and can have an IP address (for the host) assigned to it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/