Re: [virt-tools-list] Usability Enhancement: Import/Export VMs GUI

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:32:15PM +0000, bancfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 2016-03-10 15:43, Cole Robinson wrote:
On 03/10/2016 02:29 AM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 04:23:18PM +0000, bancfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
The single most important usability feature missed by our less
technical
users who migrate  from VirtualBox is a one click import/export of
VMs
and their config settings.

Who are you users? I gather you work on tails/tor, name dropping the
project
and explaining the use case a bit might actually help drum up interest
:)

- Cole

Alright I'll introduce myself.

I work on the Whonix Project [whonix.org] which is a Tor centric distro
similar to TAILS but goes a step futher by leveraging the isolation
properties of virtualizaiton for security.

The setup is made up of two VMs a "Gateway" that runs Tor and which all
traffic from an untrusted "Workstation" VM is forced thru it. The idea
is that even if an attacker successfully roots the Workstation VM they
still cannot deanonymize a user or infect the host. Its a fantastic
project. You should try it and maybe even hack on it with us ;)

Running on a secure and libre stack like KVM and Libvirt is awesome and
wins half the battle. The rest of the way is about making the setup as
easy as possible to expand the user base and to pull people away from
proprietary hypervisors or fake opensource ones like VirtualBox.

Cool, now I'm wondering whether we also mention distros that are based
on leveraging libvirt on our apps page [1]

The initial import process with virsh commands puts off many newbies who
lack the technical skills to get up and running. This is the single most
coveted feature that comes up. It would be great if you guys can make it
happen at GSoC :)

Since virt-v2v can already quickly do that, I'm not sure the idea is big
enough that it would be enough for such project.  It would be basically
a file chooser, button and running 'virt-v2v' with proper parameters if
I'm not mistaken.

Martin

[1] https://libvirt.org/apps.html