Re: [virt-tools-list] Usability Enhancement: Import/Export VMs GUI

On 2016-03-10 15:43, Cole Robinson wrote:
On 03/10/2016 02:29 AM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 04:23:18PM +0000, bancfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The single most important usability feature missed by our less technical users who migrate from VirtualBox is a one click import/export of VMs
and their config settings.

Who are you users? I gather you work on tails/tor, name dropping the project and explaining the use case a bit might actually help drum up interest :)

- Cole

Alright I'll introduce myself.

I work on the Whonix Project [whonix.org] which is a Tor centric distro similar to TAILS but goes a step futher by leveraging the isolation properties of virtualizaiton for security.

The setup is made up of two VMs a "Gateway" that runs Tor and which all traffic from an untrusted "Workstation" VM is forced thru it. The idea is that even if an attacker successfully roots the Workstation VM they still cannot deanonymize a user or infect the host. Its a fantastic project. You should try it and maybe even hack on it with us ;)

Running on a secure and libre stack like KVM and Libvirt is awesome and wins half the battle. The rest of the way is about making the setup as easy as possible to expand the user base and to pull people away from proprietary hypervisors or fake opensource ones like VirtualBox.

The initial import process with virsh commands puts off many newbies who lack the technical skills to get up and running. This is the single most coveted feature that comes up. It would be great if you guys can make it happen at GSoC :)