Re: Using gitlab labels for issues and MRs

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:28:29PM +0200, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that we've been using gitlab as primary source for issues and merge
> requests, maybe we can start using labels to categorize them.
> I never used them myself, so personally it would be a small thing to
> learn; considering the traffic of libosinfo issues & MRs is not high,
> I think we could manage to use them. What do you guys think about this?

Yes, I think labels are a good thing for initial quick triage of incoming
bugs.

> If you think it is worth, we can define them organization-wide, and
> my proposals are the following:
> - tests -- for things related mainly to tests/test suite
> - osxml -- mainly for the OS XML files in osinfo-db, including changes
>   to the schema
> - unattented-install -- for anything related to unattended installation
>   (scripts, API, tooling, etc)
> - tools -- for things related to tools, be it osinfo-db-tools or the
>   ones in libosinfo
> - ci -- for CI config or scripts used by CI
> - api -- mainly for libosinfo changes that require new public APIs
>
> Of course the above list is not comprehensive, however IMHO it can be
> a good start.

Yep that's all sensible stuff.

For libvirt I figured it was useful to distinguish different types of
request too

 - bug  - undesirable behaviour
 - enhancement  - request for new feature
 - documentation - improvement to docs
 - support - end user usage query
 - discussion - some topic focused discussion (ie this email thread :-)

Finally, I also created "bitesizedtask" as a simple thing that newbies
can tackle, and "critical" for something that is high priority to address

BTW, you can create labels at the organization level and they apply to
all projects. So these I created at the org

  https://gitlab.com/groups/libvirt/-/labels

and then others I created at the project

  https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/labels

I imagine the ones you suggest are probably mostly project level

Regards,
Daniel

[Index of Archives]     [Virt Tools]     [Libvirt Users]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]