Re: kickstart packages

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Hugh Brown wrote:

On 01/28/2012 06:11 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

Assuming that the kickstart file is correct, how do I add a package to it?
How do I figure out what name to give in the kickstart file?

Also, anaconda-ks.cfg was generated by a F14 install.
I'll be installing F16.
How badly will that bite me?

As a brute force method, to get exactly the packages which you currently have installed now, you can do:

rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' >rpmlist

and then insert your rpmlist into your kickstart file.

At a higher level, you can run system-config-kickstart which will try and collect all of the information about packages you have installed and then will kick out a kickstart file you can use.

What I can find is "Kickstart Configurator",
from gnome tool bar-Applications-System Tools-Kickstart
It wants to start the package list from scratch.
I had to install it later.
Is there another one I should look for?

In order to get info about which groups are available, what they install, etc.

yum grouplist -v  # all groups, pipe it through a pager
yum groupinfo text-internet # lists default/mandatory/optional packages

As to your question of what installed tex, you can use repoquery to get that info.

repoquery --groupmember texlive

tells me that it is in the authoring-and-publishing group. Using "yum groupinfo authoring-and-publishing" tells me that it is a mandatory package. So if you specify @authoring-and-publishing in your kickstart file, you will get that package. If you don't want it, then add it to your kickstart file and prefix it with a dash/minus sign.

With each new rev of the distro, you get to make sure that all of your favorite packages are getting installed and you'll also have a new list of packages that you don't want installed. You can also do a manual install of F16 and select the packages you want and don't want. Then you do an rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' |sort >f16list and do the same on the f14 box. Do a diff and see what changed. Some of them will be things like the change from upstart to systemd others will be random packages that you installed on f14 and not on f16.

As to editing the kickstart file to add a single package, just insert the name of the package between the %packages and %end flag. I refer to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart rather often when I'm updating kickstart files. Specifically look at the Chapter 3. Package Selection section.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
whom I teach not to run with scissors,