Re: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs, Michael Hennebry said

By default, Fedora 16 has UID_MIN=GID_MIN=1000.
My Fedora 14 (EOL) has UID_MIN=GID=500.
These values are stored in /etc/login.defs .
I want to install (not uppgrade) Fedora 16 and retain the 500.

 If you know perl or python better, the same can be coded for the post,
 you just need to tell %post to use a different interpreter.

I'd use python.

 Note: usermod only fixes file ownership of stuff in their home dir, if
 these system users already own files outside of their home, you'll need
 to find them and modify them too.

Another reason to get the job done before %post .

- proceed with whatever other post tasks you need

You're already talking about installing FC16 in a way that's not
recommended, so modifying the accounts is no worse.

Strickly speaking, that is not true.
anaconda would happily let me keep my 500 if I were upgrading.

You should think carefully before you proceed down this path.  It may
not be worth the effort.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not.
It's not so much the effort as the likelihood
that I would mess it up in some horrible way.
Finding an owned-by-user-500 file occasionally is less
likely to less of a nuisance than screwing up a system user.

I think the fedora folks were just teasing
me when they said to use a kickstart file.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
whom I teach not to run with scissors,