Re: kernel-smp rpm as a dependency?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:51:32 +0200
Panu Matilainen [Panu] wrote:

Panu> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 13:50, Alain TAUCH wrote:
[...]
Panu> > I think stephen made a rpm with both modules, using postinstall
Panu> > scripts to see wether kernel or kernel + kernel-smp were installed
Panu> > and install his modules accordingly (this is how I do it).
Panu>
Panu> Sure it might be easier to create the package that way but it's simply
Panu> not going to work without some special case hacks in anaconda :-/

you just need your package to be installed after the kernel ones.
seems reasonnable to me.

Panu> > It is much more easier to make a single rpm for all kernels and include
Panu> > it in kickstart than trying to install a rpm for kernel, kernel-smp,
Panu> > kernel-bigmem and so on ...
Panu> > I don t feel comfortable adding kernel-module-xxx, kernel-module-smp-xxx,
Panu> > kernel-module-bigmem-xxx in my comps and install them 'just in case'.
Panu> > Moreover, dependencies may force the installation of all kernels,
Panu> > which is not what we want.
Panu> >
Panu> > Not sure this is the right place to discuss about this but I wonder
Panu> > how people used to do this.
Panu>
Panu> External kernel module packaging is hideously difficult, if not damn
Panu> right impossible to get 100% right. Witness the endless discussions on
Panu> the topic in the fedora-devel archives both at
Panu> http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-devel/ and
Panu> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/
Panu> (sorry I don't have exact pointers to threads but Google will help you
Panu> there)

ok, I ll check that, thanks ;-)

--
Alain