Re: kernel-smp rpm as a dependency?

If you can edit the RPM spec file, why not change the %post sections to
%triggers?

I use triggers in many RPMS and therefore I don't have to Require kernel
and/or kernel-smp.

In your case, you would have two %triggers sections:
%triggerin -- kernel
copy e1000.o to /lib/modules

%triggerin -- kernel-smp
copy other e1000.o to /lib/modules

The nice thing about triggers is that things can be installed out of
order.  For example, the above trigger will be called _EACH_ time you
install the kernel.  This means the e1000 driver will get copied to the
new /lib/modules if you write the trigger correctly.

Disclaimer: I've not tested this specifically with kernel and
kernel-smp.  Since kernel-smp provides kernel, I don't know which of the
above triggers would get called.

I used triggers for things like customized sendmail configs,
sshd_config, etc.  Even if sshd gets upgraded via RHN or Red Carpet, my
sshd_config gets put back in place  :)

/Brian/