Re: kernel-smp rpm as a dependency?

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 13:50, Alain TAUCH wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:04:59 +0200 (EET)
> Panu Matilainen [Panu] wrote:
>
> Panu> > I want my install to work on both UP and SMP machines, so I don't
> Panu> > think adding kernel-smp as a dependency to the e1000 rpm is the
> Panu> > right thing to do.
> Panu> >
> Panu> > Any way to do this?
> Panu>
> Panu> You should have a separate e1000 rpm for kernel and kernel-smp packages,
> Panu> a module built for up kernel wont work anyway in smp kernel (and vice
> Panu> versa) and then add dependency for the relevant kernel.
>
> I think stephen made a rpm with both modules, using postinstall
> scripts to see wether kernel or kernel + kernel-smp were installed
> and install his modules accordingly (this is how I do it).

Sure it might be easier to create the package that way but it's simply
not going to work without some special case hacks in anaconda :-/

> It is much more easier to make a single rpm for all kernels and include
> it in kickstart than trying to install a rpm for kernel, kernel-smp,
> kernel-bigmem and so on ...
> I don t feel comfortable adding kernel-module-xxx, kernel-module-smp-xxx,
> kernel-module-bigmem-xxx in my comps and install them 'just in case'.
> Moreover, dependencies may force the installation of all kernels,
> which is not what we want.
>
> Not sure this is the right place to discuss about this but I wonder
> how people used to do this.

External kernel module packaging is hideously difficult, if not damn
right impossible to get 100% right. Witness the endless discussions on
the topic in the fedora-devel archives both at
http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-devel/ and
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/
(sorry I don't have exact pointers to threads but Google will help you
there)

	- Panu -