Re: using kickstart to run a single command

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Patty O'Reilly wrote:

>It's a product called PowerQuest which I know very little about. My boss
>wants me to come up with a Linux boot disk so they can get away from
>lanman authentication.

Umm, PowerQuest is a company, not a product. I've only used their
"Partition Magic" (which is quite good).

>I think you could install Windows by using kickstart to create a DOS
>filesystem and moving the necessary boot programs (command.com,
>msdos.sys, io.sys), network drivers, autoexec.bat, config.sys, etc, to
>the partition.

So far so good. Why network drivers? Most ship with Windows.

>You'd have to dd the the DOS boot sector to the first 512 bytes of the
>disk.

Aha! Do you mean the master boot record, which contains the partition
table? Or the boot sector of the new partition? Will the partition have
the same disk geometry every time?

>Then copy the Windows installation files to the partition and run
>setup.

Yep; that's my plan too, using answer/response/something files.

>Back to my questions. Would my ks.cfg look something like this?
>
>lang en_US
>network --bootproto dhcp
>nfs --server x.x.x.x --dir /redhat/PowerQuest
>device ethernet

Is this a new one?

>keyboard us
>%pre
>/mnt/source/myscript.sh /proc/cmdline
>
>And that's it?

Correct. Then in myscript.sh, partition the disk, copy the files, write
config.sys and autoexec.bat, and make it bootable (this is the hard
part).

Then, break out of kickstart to reboot the computer. I did this:

---------------
# don't install Redhat, but force reboot instead.
cd "$EXTRABIN"
cp umount reboot-now /tmp
cd /
/tmp/umount -l /mnt/source
sync;sync

# reboot-now makes a direct syscall to the kernel
/tmp/reboot-now

I did plan to open-source this - is it worth packaging up what I've
written so far (which is still incomplete)?

Cheers,
Phil