Re: Ejecting CDROM in %POST?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:10:38AM -0400, csw@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> I have kickstart running smoothly. I am doing a network install (NFS) with a CD made from isolinux with the ks.cfg on it. So I simply put in the CD and boot my machine and everything installs nicely.
> The only problem is that after everything installs, the systems reboots and boots from the CD which starts the install process all over again.
> How can I eject the CD or get around this problem? I need to have the system boot from CD to do the install so changing my boot order is not an option.

(originally attempted to send 2003-09-26 00:51 but had non subscribed
 from address on the e-mail)

the approach we take (using floppies instead of cd's but the concept is the same) is this:

 - on the initial install have the BIOS set for floppy boot.
 - as the machine is rebooting change to hard drive boot
 - create an entry in /etc/lilo.conf to allow booting from floppy
 - create a 'nuke' script in root's home dir that changes lilo to boot from floppy and reboots the system
   (chmod 400 so it has to be invoked with a /bin/sh /root/nuke to help prevent
    accidental re-install)

So the first install (ever on the new machine) have to watch to change the BIOS
but subsequent re-installs can be unattended/remote.

And yes still using LILO, on the list to migrate away from but since our
standard non RHEL deployment is RH7.3 (since it is compatible with
AS2.1 and ES2.1) not a major issue for us yet.

Regards,
Steven Roberts