Re: Very slow FTP installs

With RHL 7.3 and later, NFS will loop mount image files rather than download then unpack them. I would imagine that the same is done for some of the /RedHat/base image files which are usually not small. I know for sure that whole ISO images can be done this way too.

I mostly do NFS installations as well. It seems that since an NFS mount is very similar to a local file system, you cut out on some time spent on retrieving files first before attempting to figure out what action should be taken on the file.

Some general throuput troubleshooting:

When experiencing network slowdowns, one should verify that they are actually getting the speed they should be getting. Create a large file on one of your boxes, then use wget to download that file. wget will give you some nice average throughput speeds. You might be getting 10Mbit when you think you are supposed to be getting 100Mbit. Then it's time to check the hub/switch, cables, NIC driver, NIC, and anything else between you and the destination system, or try the test with a different box to get a different perspective.

If wget shows around 850K/s then you are likely on a 10 Mbit connection.
If wget shows around 9MB/s to 12MB/s then you are likely on a 100 Mbit connection.

Sincerely,
Richard Black

John M Beamon wrote:

I've done most of my installs over NFS. I find that during FTP and HTTP installs, the installer will first retrieve each package to the local system before extracting it. I don't find this to be the case in network-mounted installations. I've done http and ftp, and they're more cooperative in terms of open friendly network ports and simplicity of setup, but I find they're both slower. If you're going to install a dozen boxes with software development RPMS, you're going to have all those extra, large packages moved across the network individually and all that portmap and file locking and whatnot. It's not "bad", but I do tend to find NFS is fastest.