Re: KS.CFG on CD and Vendor supplied drivers

On Friday 12 September 2003 09:34, Philip Rowlands wrote:
> As the other poster mentioned, PXE is great if your NICs can do it.
> With CDs, it's a pain to change pieces.
>
> >Second.  For these servers I need to install drivers for the SCSI
> >cards.  Where on the CD will I put these drivers and how will I tell
> >the installation process to load the drivers?
>
> Unless you're using some exotic card which RH8 doesn't know about
> (unlikely), you don't need to worry about this; the drivers are all
> on the CD.

Of note, even if your system doesn't support PXE booting, you can still
use a small CD to initiate a kickstart over the network.  Here we use
the same kernel/initrd that one would use for PXE booting, but burned
to a Syslinux enabled cdrom.  We have a syslinux boot loader that is
pre-configured to pick up kickstart files from a HTTP server on the
lan.  This makes it very easy to add modules into the initrd used for
booting, eliminating the need for driver disks.

Starting with RHL9 you can even load driver disk images over the
network.  The syntax for this escapes me, but I thought it was a rather
neat ability.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net