Re: KS.CFG on CD and Vendor supplied drivers

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, José J. Cintrón wrote:

>First.  I have to configure a bunch of servers with RH 8 on servers
>that do not have a floppy drive (1U rack mount Penguin servers).  For
>the previous hardware that I was working with I had a customized
>installation CD and bootable floppy (which contained KS.CFG).  Now I
>cannot use the floppy.  Is there a way to put KS.CFG on the CD as
>well as a bunch of scripts that I run in the %POST section?  Any
>pointers to good documentation will be appreciated.

Yes, see here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

You'll either need to type at the boot prompt, or add to the
syslinux/isolinux? config file "ks=cdrom:/<path>".

I don't see why %post scripts shouldn't run from the CD, but I've never
tried it.

As the other poster mentioned, PXE is great if your NICs can do it. With
CDs, it's a pain to change pieces.

>Second.  For these servers I need to install drivers for the SCSI
>cards.  Where on the CD will I put these drivers and how will I tell
>the installation process to load the drivers?

Unless you're using some exotic card which RH8 doesn't know about
(unlikely), you don't need to worry about this; the drivers are all on
the CD.

Cheers,
Phil