Re: Forcing kickstart to ask for network configuration

   It would be great if RedHat would provide for this, as the question
comes up fairly regularly on this list (Jeremy?).  A quick
workaround, untested in 8 or 9, would be to open a shell in %pre, and edit
/tmp/ks.cfg.  Somewhat more user friendly would be to modify the previous
%pre script  to prompt the user for the required information.

-------------------
%pre

chvt 3
exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3
echo "--Static Network Configuration--"
echo "Please enter ip address for this machine."
read IPADDR
-------------
and so on, for the other required variables for the network line. After
the line editing steps, before the end of %pre, change back to the
graphical install screen:

chvt 1
exec < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1

-Ed

> Forgot to mention that I am using redhat 9. I did try what you suggested
but it did not ask for the network info and anaconda got an exception
since there was no /tmp/netinfo file.

> Thanks,
> Holger
>
> On 11 Sep 2003, Ed Brown wrote:
>
>> 	The following works with redhat 7.3 to allow entering static ip
>> configuration.  I haven't tested with 8 or 9.
>> 	Use this network line:
>> network --device eth0 --bootproto query
>> The query option, (undocumented for 7.3 I think, so it may have gone
away in subsequent releases) brings up the network configuration window in
the first stage of the install.  For some reason, this info is not
communicated to anaconda in the second stage, so it needs a little help in
the %pre section, to rewrite the network line in the copy of ks.cfg that
is written to the hard drive:
>> ------------------------
>> %pre
>> get()  {
>>         grep $1 /tmp/netinfo |cut -d'=' -f2
>> }
>> device=`get DEVICE`
>> ip=`get IPADDR`
>> netmask=`get NETMASK`
>> host=`get HOSTNAME`
>> gateway=`get GATEWAY`
>> nameserver=`grep  nameserver /etc/resolv.conf`
>> line="network --bootproto static --device $device --ip $ip --netmask
$netmask --hostname $host --gateway $gateway --$nameserver"
>> ks="/tmp/ks.cfg"
>> sed -e "/^network/s/^network.*/$line/" $ks >${ks}.tmp && mv ${ks}.tmp
$ks
>> (Note that the last two lines begin with "line=" and "sed -e"
>> respectively. There should be no line breaks. And of course those are
backticks around the `get xxx`'s and `grep nameser...`)