RH9 Kickstart over network

 All,

 I'm new to the list. However I'm not new to kickstart.

 I'm not too sure why the boot disks were changed away from boot.img and
bootnet.img. If you can make me see the light, then cool. But from where I sit, it
seems like a bad idea!

 Now for my issue. I've always thought of kickstart as a way to automate the install
process by answering some of the questions from anaconda. That being said, we have
been using it to allow for a SINGLE boot floppy to re-image machines when they
break or have some other major problem. The nice thing about this is you can have
any bone head stick in the floppy and reboot with out having them swap disks and
answer a bunch of questions.

 Now with RH 9 everything is broke unless you use 2 install disks. This kinda blows
the whole automation thing out the window.

 Here is what I did to TRY and get around the shortcomings of this NEW KICKSTART.

 I rebuilt my initrd.img from the bootdisk.img and I added 3c59x.o to the the
modules.cgz and updated the pcitable, module-info, and modules.dep. After checking
the docs for kickstart I added the following to ks.cfg

 device eth 3c59x

 Well, this caused anaconda to blow up and crash the install. If I remove that line
from the ks.cfg then I get prompted to select a driver for the ftp install. I see
the driver I added to the disk and it loads fine and the install continues on as
normal.

 I'd like to see someone fix this issue. I know I'm not the only person that likes
the SINGLE floppy install method. From a quick look, it doesn't seem like it would
be very hard to keep this in play for us that CAN build our own initrd images.

 Someone in an earlier thread stated the following.

"Depends on what one defines the purpose of kickstart to be. If it's to
automate the Q+As in the install and allow for custom scripting, then
that still works. If it's to allow single-floppy full automated
installs, then no, that's not provided any more."

 My question is....Who should define how the kickstart is to be used. Shouldn't it
be us users that actually use it? Or is this something that someone is trying to
cram down our throats to make us use kickstart they way THEY want it to be. Hmmm
Microsoft comes to mind.

 Enough of my ranting. Like I said. If I'm way off base here then please let me
know. I'm open to hear why this was changed when it was working so well.

 - Mike