Re: Kickstarting from a wireless interface...

I'm completely hypothosizing here, but I think there are actually two problems:

1) "wifi0" needs to be up (per "ifconfig wifi0 up") for DHCP to work
   out of "eth0". Kickstart doesn't know this so even if you choose
   "eth0" to boot from manually from the menu given, it won't work. It
   does seem to work once you've tried to boot from "wifi0" manually
   (which fails) and then follow with "eth0" (which then doesn't
   fail).

2) I believe in previous kickstarts (8.1 and earlier) if you had
   multiple possible interfaces available, kickstart choose the first
   one if you didn't specify one in the "ks.cfg". It now appears to
   prompt you.

   We've always had multiple, an onboard 10/100 ethernet and a
   wireless but kickstart, because of the way things were found I'd
   guess, would choose the wireless card (which was an add on) first
   if it was there. Otherwise, if there was no card, it would revert
   to the on board ethernet.

   This turns out to be exactly what we wanted - use wireless if
   installed, otherwise revert to on board, however this "feature"
   seems to have been removed in 9. We would love to see a way
   to get that same functionality back (like a way to specify
   "if you find this interface use it first, otherwise use this..."

Again, any help would be appreciated.

			- Matt

Matt Fahrner wrote:
Up until RedHat 9 we have been able to kickstart without intervention through a wireless interface (a Cisco Aironet). We use a custom "initrd.img" with the aironet module. With 9 when it loads up the "airo.o" the kickstart stops and offers two interfaces which never happened before:

    eth0
    wifi0

This appears to be related to a change in interface naming in the "airo.o" module. The "wifi0" is apparently for straight 802.11 frames and the "eth0" is for 802.3 frames (at least this is what I'm interpreting from emails I've Google'd up).

Has anyone been able to get kickstart to not get confused by the dueling interfaces here? Typically we avoid specifying the interface to kickstart from in the kickstart config because we use a generic install for both systems with 10/100baseT interfaces and wireless interfaces, but this seems to throw a wedge in.

Thanks in advance,

            - Matt