Re: Kickstart question

Some methods involve having a web server that can punch out diskettes based on choices the user makes. Well, that's not what you want, ok, next...

A floppy would be too small because you really need to have the vmlinuz and initrd for each OS you are going to install. The vmlinuz/initrd must match the installation files.

A CD-Rom or PXE install is more suited to do what you are talking about. In either case you would just have a syslinux.cfg (or similar) that looks like this:

default rhl9
prompt 1
timeout 600
display F1.msg
F1 F1.msg
F2 F2.msg
F3 F3.msg
F4 F4.msg
F5 F5.msg
label rhl9
 kernel vmlinuz-rhl9
append initrd=initrd-rhl9.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 vga=788
label rhl80
 kernel vmlinuz-rhl80
append initrd=initrd-rhl80.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 vga=788
label rhl73
 kernel vmlinuz-rhl73
append initrd=initrd-rhl73.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 vga=788
label rhl72
 kernel vmlinuz-rhl72
append initrd=initrd-rhl72.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 vga=788
label rhl62
 kernel vmlinuz-rhl62
append initrd=initrd-rhl62.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 vga=788
# and if doing pxe installs, here's how to boot to the local hard drive
label localboot
       localboot 0

Not sure how to do the ip address questioning, other than just leave that section out of the ks.cfg (so throw an appropriately named ks=nfs:192.168.0.1:/var/ftp/pub/kickstart/ks-rh73.cfg) on each of the above append= lines).

So, PXE or CD-Rom installs are the way you'll need to go.

Me loves PXE as well. I have lots of info to get anyone started in pxe or etherboot:
http://www.cpqlinux.com/whitepaper-kickstart.html
http://www.cpqlinux.com/whitepaper-pxe.html
http://www.cpqlinux.com/pxeserver.html

Sincerely,
Richard Black

Ricky Chawla wrote:

This is what we want to accomplish in kickstart. We want to setup a kickstart server for multiple linux flavors. We want to be able to put in a boot floppy and then have it ask us what kind of installation we want to do. This could be 6.2, 7.2, 7.3. Also we would also like it to ask us whether this is a static/dhcp ip address and prompt us if it is static IP for IP address, netmask and gateway.
If someone has examples on how to accomplish this, it would be great.

Thanks in advance
Ricky