Re: adding printers in kickstart

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Mark Denni wrote:

> Eric -
>
> We are in a network consisting of Sun and Linux machines.  When I first
> started
> installing Linux, I found that I could copy the /etc/printers.conf file
> into
> the kickstart file and use cat to place it into the /etc/printcap.local
> file
> on the new linux machine:
> cat >> /etc/printcap.local <<EOF
> contents of file goes here
> EOF

I really _must_ recount an experience I had the other day.

I have here a Deskjet 880c which was not actually connected to a
computer. I previously used it attached to my workstation, . For some
reason, when I wanted to set it up it didn;'t work as a USB printer
either on my workstation (Debian) or my server (RHL 7.x).

So, I set it you as a parport printer on my test server, and that didn't
have printing-server software installed.

I had a mate here, and he wasn't very impressed so far. I installed
CUPS, edited cups.conf to make it browsable and to make it accessible
across my LAN, and created a printer using its built-in configuration
tools.

I then printed on it.

I did _not_ configure the printer on my workstation, it's available
immediately.

My mate left, saying he was going home to install CUPS.

Those who've configured Apache won't have a lot of trouble with
cups.conf as it's remarkably like httpd.conf.

If you install CUPS to drive your printers, and install CUPS on your
clients, you won't _need_ to configure the individual printers on the
clients.

--
Please, reply only to the list.