Re: selecting disk for onpart in Pre8.0 kickstart

Donald,

I am not sure if there is a way to do what you specifically asked, but what
you can do is in your
pre script actually write out the section of the kickstart that would
define the partitions, and then just
use an include to include that.  Anaconda re-parses the kickstart file
after it runs the pre scriptlets, which is
when it would actually consider creating partitions.

Cheers...james

                      "Bodle, Donald E"
                      <donald_bodle@reyrey         To:      "'kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx'" <kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
                      .com>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                     Subject: selecting disk for onpart in Pre8.0 kickstart
                      kickstart-list-admin
                      @redhat.com

                      04/04/03 01:56 PM
                      Please respond to
                      kickstart-list

I have a kickstart config file which allows me to do a fresh o/s install
without blowing away user data.  It is predicated on the idea that we
always partition our systems the same way.  So, I don't do a clearpart, and
I use onpart as follows:

part /boot --onpart sda1

part swap  --onpart sda7

part /     --onpart sda10

part /tmp  --onpart sda6

part /usr  --onpart sda5

part /var  --onpart sda8

part /opt  --noformat --onpart sda11

part /rs1  --onpart sda9

I don't even mention the partition that has the user data, so it is left
totally unaffected.  My problem is this.  I'm trying to do this in such a
way as to support both ide and scsi disk systems.  Right now I have to use
2 different CD versions, one for each.

Is there a way to set a variable in the %pre section that can be used in
place of the h or s in as in:

part /boot -onpart ${dtype}da1

There are different ways to determine what dtype should be in %pre.  My
problem is whether or not I can make use of that information in the -onpart
option.

Note I'm currently using RH 7.1 with latest errata, so I don't think there
is a %include option is this version.  If so, or when I go to RH 8/9, I
could probably use the %pre to build the target of the include then (I
hope).

Donald E. Bodle, Jr.

Sr. Systems Integration Engineer

Platform Development