Re: selecting disk for onpart in Pre8.0 kickstart

First modify run() in kickstart.py file found in stage2.img -- have it
check for the existence of a temp file, if that file doesn't exist then
write the file and execv so that anaconda re-reads the ks.cfg file.   In
the %pre section of the ks.cfg check if the temp file exists and if it
doesn't, then use sed to modify the partition lines in /tmp/ks.cfg
depending on dtype.

Good Luck!

                      "Bodle, Donald E"
                      <donald_bodle@reyrey         To:      "'kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx'" <kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
                      .com>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                     Subject: selecting disk for onpart in Pre8.0 kickstart
                      kickstart-list-admin
                      @redhat.com
                      No Phone Info
                      Available

                      04/04/2003 12:56 PM
                      Please respond to
                      kickstart-list

I have a kickstart config file which allows me to do a fresh o/s install
without blowing away user data.  It is predicated on the idea that we
always partition our systems the same way.  So, I don't do a clearpart, and
I use onpart as follows:

part /boot --onpart sda1
part swap  --onpart sda7
part /     --onpart sda10
part /tmp  --onpart sda6
part /usr  --onpart sda5
part /var  --onpart sda8
part /opt  --noformat --onpart sda11
part /rs1  --onpart sda9

I don't even mention the partition that has the user data, so it is left
totally unaffected.  My problem is this.  I'm trying to do this in such a
way as to support both ide and scsi disk systems.  Right now I have to use
2 different CD versions, one for each.

Is there a way to set a variable in the %pre section that can be used in
place of the h or s in as in:
part /boot -onpart ${dtype}da1

There are different ways to determine what dtype should be in %pre.  My
problem is whether or not I can make use of that information in the -onpart
option.

Note I'm currently using RH 7.1 with latest errata, so I don't think there
is a %include option is this version.  If so, or when I go to RH 8/9, I
could probably use the %pre to build the target of the include then (I
hope).

Donald E. Bodle, Jr.
Sr. Systems Integration Engineer
Platform Development