selecting disk for onpart in Pre8.0 kickstart

I have a kickstart config file which allows me to do a fresh o/s install without blowing away user data.  It is predicated on the idea that we always partition our systems the same way.  So, I don't do a clearpart, and I use onpart as follows:

part /boot --onpart sda1

part swap  --onpart sda7

part /     --onpart sda10

part /tmp  --onpart sda6

part /usr  --onpart sda5

part /var  --onpart sda8

part /opt  --noformat --onpart sda11

part /rs1  --onpart sda9

I don't even mention the partition that has the user data, so it is left totally unaffected.  My problem is this.  I'm trying to do this in such a way as to support both ide and scsi disk systems.  Right now I have to use 2 different CD versions, one for each.

Is there a way to set a variable in the %pre section that can be used in place of the h or s in as in:

part /boot -onpart ${dtype}da1

There are different ways to determine what dtype should be in %pre.  My problem is whether or not I can make use of that information in the -onpart option.

Note I'm currently using RH 7.1 with latest errata, so I don't think there is a %include option is this version.  If so, or when I go to RH 8/9, I could probably use the %pre to build the target of the include then (I hope).

Donald E. Bodle, Jr.

Sr. Systems Integration Engineer

Platform Development

The Reynolds and Reynolds Co.