Re: RPMs not finding dependancies

I'm using an older version of rpm (4.0.2-8) and I use the following to turn
off automatic dependencies:
AutoReqProv:  no

Try this for a RPM mailing list:

                      Matt Fahrner
                      <Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxx         To:      kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
                      om>                          cc:      Andy Behrens <andy.behrens@xxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                     Subject: Re: RPMs not finding dependancies
                      kickstart-list-admin
                      @redhat.com
                      No Phone Info
                      Available

                      03/05/2003 02:36 PM
                      Please respond to
                      kickstart-list

Your diagnosis of the situation matches our recent similar diagnosis
by another engineer here. Thanks muchly for the confirmation.

The only reason I'm not using the one from Sun is because it doesn't
have the smarts to install a link for the Java plugin into the
Netscape/Mozilla plugin directories. I've added a trigger in mine to
do so.

I'm not sure how Sun avoided this dependancy. I literally took their
"/usr/java" created by their RPM to build my RPM and I ended up with
20+ library dependancies (requires), not 2 as they have. My only guess
is somehow they've disabled the RPM build's automatic "find-requires"
run. If someone can point out to me how to do the same, that'd be great.

Worst case I guess I can add a second RPM that depends on the Sun J2RE
RPM that simply installs the plugins. Still, it has come up before so
I wondered.

Thanks,

                                     - Matt

PS: Since it was brought up in another note, if this is not the right
     list to post RPM questions, anyone know what is?

Philip Rowlands wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Matt Fahrner wrote:
>

>>I've recently created an RPM on a 7.0 box to be installed on an 8.0
>>box that I got the following errors when trying to install:
>>
>>     error: Failed dependencies:
>>        libodbcinst.so is needed by j2re-1.4.1_02-1
>>        libodbc.so is needed by j2re-1.4.1_02-1
>>
>>Funny thing is, these files exist:
>>
>>     lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Oct 22 17:49
>>/usr/lib/libodbcinst.so
>>-> libodbcinst.so.1.0.0*
>>     lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Oct 22 17:25
>>/usr/lib/libodbc.so -> libodbc.so.1.0.0*
>>
>>and are supplied by standard 8.0 RPMS:
>>
>>     1%  rpm -qf /usr/lib/libodbc.so
>>     unixODBC-2.2.2-3
>>     2%  rpm -qf /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so
>>     unixODBC-devel-2.2.2-3
>>
>>So why is RPM claiming they are missing?
>

> The package you're trying to install does not depend on
> "/usr/lib/libodbc.so" the file, it depends on "libodbc.so" the
> resource. unixODBC-2.2.2-3.i386.rpm does not provide any such resource:
>
> $ rpm -qp --provides unixODBC-2.2.2-3.i386.rpm | grep libodbc.so
> libodbc.so.1
>
> Note the ".1"; while being a small difference, it is not the exact
> resource which j2re requires, so RPM complains.
>

>>Anyone else? I DO NOT want to do an "rpm --nodeps" for the install.
>>This is going to get used throughout our enterprise.
>

> Any reason you've built your own package, rather than use the one from
> Sun? There are shared libraries which link against libodbc.so, but the
> RPM doesn't appear to have any complex dependencies.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Manager of Networking                           Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
TEL: (603) 448-4100 xt 5150                     USA
FAX: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx