Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: the RULE distribution analyzer is online
From: "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:51:17 +0100
To: "Skahan, Vince" <vince.skahan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: io <m.fioretti@xxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 12:22:54 at 12:22:54PM -0800, Skahan, Vince (vince.skahan@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> 1. one problem is that RPM lies about package size
Yes, I know. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to fix this
without actually installing the package and counting bytes, which goes
against the "core mission" of the tool (ie knowing better RH packages
before installing them). In other words, from my side this looks like
an RPM bug which I can't fix myself, nor I should.

> 2. you're using bogus data... If you used 'real' data you'd have
> more feedback
Yes again. This is a chicken and egg problem. I am on dialup, so
cannot download every other day all the ISOs around and do the maths.
I was hoping, announcing DAn all around, that some bandwidth-blessed
guy would come in and say "I have all the packages on my hard disk,
how do we extract the info that you need?"
(BTW, I have been contacted by the freshrpms maintainer: he seems
willing to cooperate, and I have explained to him how to send me data
for all his packages

> 3. I'd like to understand what the columns you return mean.

Those are for the RULE project: the first column explains what RH base
packages are base also for RULE, the others are similar stuff

> Looks like very cool stuff!

It is indeed, if I can say it myself. All the other tools around, from
up2date to apt to urpmi, etc.. go at the problem from the wrong angle.

They are OK for people who have ALREADY installed the distribution,
and say "all right, I want a calendar: since they force us to buy
huge hard disks anyway, fill them with whatever crap those insane
packagers declared as dependency, but install the calendar and don't
bother me"

At the same time, they are all totally useless, or at least *very*
time consuming, when you want to evaluate alternatives: what do you
do,
	for each of ten dvd players
		1) install dvd player 1 and all its dependency
		2) write down manually how much space went away
		3) uninstall that player and all the packages that he
			pretended
		4) Next player...

Yes, something like this is long overdue, and (pardon me for a bit of
profecy and ego trip) if the distribution packagers started using this
systematically, their end products would be much better.

Have I convinced you by now that this is the most important IT mission
since when Linus released his first kernel, and that the fate of the
Free World depends on you helping me with this program :-) ?

Ciao, and thanks again for your compliments and feedback

	Marco Fioretti
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

We have to pursue this subject of fun very seriously if we
want to stay competitive in the 21st century. -George Yeo,
     Singapore's Minister of State for Finance.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans
                                                 (John Lennon)