Re: Modified boot kernel won't fit on boot diskette

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:47:12PM -0500, Bodle, Donald E wrote:
> I'm trying to get a boot kernel that can handle 4GB of memory, so that my
> kickstart %post can make some decisions based on memory size.  Right now the
> boot kernel isn't configured for HIGHMEM4G and so looking at /proc/meminfo
> or dmesg output only shows 896M of memory.
>
> I've compiled the new kernel, but its just enough larger that it won't fit
> in my 1.44MB boot image.  I'm sure I've seen reference to making a larger
> boot image on a floppy, but can't find it in any of my notes or browsing the
> kickstart archives back through last April.

If you want to write a larger floppy, you can write upto 1.722MB using
the device /dev/fd0u1722. If it doesn't exist, create one thusly:
	mknod /dev/fd0u1722 b 2 60

> Can anyone help me out?  BTW, the boot image and kickstart files will
> actually be on a CDROM.  I'm just modifying the default boot.img on a floppy
> for testing (reduce wasting CDs).

I had heard that CDROM boot specs require that the boot image be 1.44MB.
I'm not sure about that tho'; maybe someone else can comment on this.

Ajay