RE: Modified boot kernel won't fit on boot diskette

I probably left out some important details.  I create customized single-CD
installations, currently RH 7.1 + 2.4.9-34 updates; eventually 8.x.
However, both the 2.4.9-34 and 2.4.18-24 BOOT kernels, from which the
boot.img is derived, do not support more than 896MB memory.  Normally,
that's enough to do their job.  But, I now need to be able to make some
installation decisions based on a few items, one of which is amount of
actual memory in the system.  The only way I know how to do that is to
configure the boot kernel for HIGHMEM4G.  Doing so made the resulting
vmlinuz sufficiently larger enough than the original that it doesn't fit in
a 1.44MB boot image.  Hence the question.

So I suppose there is more than one option.  If anyone knows how I can find
out the actual physical memory in a system with the existing boot kernel in
a boot image, that would save me this trouble.  Otherwise, I need a boot
image larger than 1.44MB.  I believe I've seen reference to such a beast,
but unfortunately either filed it away poorly, or didn't file it away at
all, and can't find said reference.  (Or, I suppose, dreamed it....)

This installation must be able to support standalone, non-networked systems
that come "bare-metal."

Thanks

Donald E. Bodle, Jr.
Sr. Systems Integration Engineer