Re: ks] Re: Modified boot kernel won't fit on boot diskette

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Ajay Shekhawat wrote:

> I had heard that CDROM boot specs require that the boot image be 1.44MB.
> I'm not sure about that tho'; maybe someone else can comment on this.

depends on if you need an El Torito type bootable CD:  man
mkisofs states:

         -b eltorito_boot_image
              Specifies the path and filename of the boot  image  to  be  used
              when  making  an  "El  Torito" bootable CD. The pathname must be
              relative to the source path specified to mkisofs.   This  option
              is  required to make an "El Torito" bootable CD.  The boot image
              must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44, or  a  2.88  meg
              floppy,  and mkisofs will use this size when creating the output
              iso9660 filesystem. It is assumed that the first 512 byte sector
              should  be read from the boot image (it is essentially emulating
              a normal floppy drive).  This will work,  for  example,  if  the
              boot image is a LILO based boot floppy.

- Russ herrold