RE: transferring files with kickstart

Kickstart does not "run on" the machine you are installing from.
Neither does Jumpstart, which is Sun's version.  They are both
installation methods which leverage a number of existing services to
transfer a minikernel to the box being installed, then define how that
minikernel behaves to install the rest of the box.

Here's the basic pieces as I understand them.  I will gladly defer to
those with more knowledge.

1) Get an ip for the card in the installation box.
a) on Sun, this happens when you type "boot net" at the "ok" prompt and
it configures the first network interface which it has found and
broadcasts a dhcp request
b) on Intel/Linux, this happens when you boot the box with a bootnet
floppy or cd, or when you have configured an interface card to do a PXE
boot.

Somewhere on your local network, a dhcp server hears the broadcast and
responds with an IP, which is assigned to the card.  The fully installed
box can either use this IP, or another one that is assigned in the
installation script.  In either case this ip is assigned to the card
in the machine being installed for the duration of the installation.

2) Transfer the minikernel and configuration file
a) on Sun, I believe it automatically initiates a tftp transfer from the
server it got the IP from, and transfers a minikernel and Jumpstart
configuration file.  The minikernel begins processing the Jumpstart file
to perform the installation.  I think it will prompt for missing
information, but I'm not sure.  As far as I know, all file transfers
(after the tftp portion) must be via nfs.
b) on Intel/Linux, if the server is configured for PXE, the dhcp reply
will have provided the ip of the tftp server and the location of the
minikernel to be transferred.  The pxe configuration may or may not point
to a kickstart file.  If no Kickstart file is provided, the minikernel
will initiate the installation process and prompt the user for input.
If PXE is not configured, then it will proceed to boot from the floppy
or cd that was used to initiate the process.  If you gave a "ks="
arguement to your boot, then it will attempt to find a kickstart file in
the appropriate place (ftp, nfs, floppy or http).

3) Once the minikernel and configuration file are transferred, the
installation proceeds as directed by the configuration file.

Note that the only services needed on the server (or on the lan) are
dhcp
tftp
nfs (or ftp, http for Linux)

The Jumpstart package on Sun provides some utilities for configuring the
tftp portions.  I think they are scripts, so they might work on a Linux
host.

On Sun, you get the initial minikernel from the Jumpstart package, which
is included on the first CD of the Solaris installation, I believe.
(There are also minikernels for Sparc which work with Linux, such as the
one included with Aurora Linux)

On Linux, you get the initial minikernel from the syslinux package, or
(for RedHat 8.x and beyond), from the images/pxeboot subdirectory on the
first CD.

To sum up, you should be able to use the same server for Solaris
installs, Intel Linux installs and Sparc Linux installs.  (I'm doing the
last 2 now).  You have to make sure your dhcp/tftp/nfs/http servers are
configured to hand out the right minikernels to the right boxes, and
maintain separate software trees.  No matter which OS is hosting
your installation, the biggest part is to get the correct minikernel
into the tftp server space so it gets served up to the right box.

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE                                jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.rossberry.com